Just complete a declaration form, then if you chose to support Children in Distress, now or in the future, we will be able to claim another 25p for every £1 you donate so long as you are a UK taxpayer.

Click to download a Gift Aid declaration

Please contact us for further information on 0141 559 5690 or email to admin2@childrenindistress.org.uk

Am I a UK taxpayer?

You are a UK tax payer if:

  • Tax is deducted from your salary or wages before you receive your pay.
  • You have to fill in a self-assessment tax form each year.
  • You have any tax savings or a pension plan or investment income.
  • If you have recently paid any capital gains tax, or expect to pay it in the near future, perhaps from the sale of shares or property.

What if don’t pay UK tax?

Please let us know that you do not pay tax by calling 0141 559 5690 and we can note that on your donor record.

What if I’m a pensioner?

You may still pay UK tax on your pension or savings account, or pay capital gains tax if you sell property. Please tell us you are a tax payer by calling 0141 559 5690 and we can note that on your donor record.

What if I’m a higher rate tax payer?

Children in Distress can only claim back gift aid at the basic rate, but please complete your gift aid form and return it. From April 2004 you will be able to tick a box on your self assessment tax return form nominating that Children in Distress receives the other 18%.

What if I’m a lower rate tax payer?

If you pay tax at the lower band rates (10% or 20%) Children in Distress can still claim back 25p for each £1 that you donate, provided you have completed the declaration form and provided that you pay enough tax to cover the claim in the tax year you make the gift.

If I complete and return the Declaration Form, am I committed to giving money?

No. It just means that if you give any amount to Children in Distress, the charity can claim an extra 25p for every £1 that you donate.

How will this affect my other covenants?

The gift that you are are making on a regular basis by covenant can continue in the normal way until the covenant expires or you change the value of your donation – when your gifts will not be tax effective.

However, your covenant does not apply to any additional donations you make, so it is better for the charity if you make a Gift Aid declaration. Making a declaration simply extends your covenant to cover any gifts you might make – and without the bother of filling in more forms.

What if I send my donations via the Charities Aid Foundation (CAF)?

If you have made your donation using CAF, tax has already been reclaimed.

However, please complete a Declaration Form in any case so that any separate donations you might have made, or make, can be as tax effective as possible.